Wednesday 11 December 2013

Use it .. or don't Lose It!



This is a photo of me and Molly off for our 45 minute walk up to Lane Cove and back with a little back pack on my back.  Unfortunately it was garbage and recycling morning so the garbage cans on the street tend to ruin the picture.

While on the boat I lost weight.  Not sure how much exactly but the fact that my size 10 (Australian) shorts were falling off me were a good indicator that things had changed for the better.  The main 2 factors I can attribute the change to would be not being able - or willing - to eat when underway at sea and all the exercise.  Yes, at sea or underway I just do not want to eat.  A lot of the time I don't exactly feel so seasick that I want to puke ... I just don't feel good.  So eating is, in my mind, not a good idea.  Additionally, on a boat, you are always moving regardless of being asleep or awake.  The body is constantly maintaining equilibrium.   Catherine told us that sailing was one consistent core exercise.  I concur.

Since we've been home I've noticed the benefits receding rapidly.  It could be the 3-4 glasses of white wine every night or the potato chips or the higher than usual amount of fried food.  (Note: On the boat we don't fry anything due to the dangers of fire and hot oil accidentally flying across the cabin.)

So I'm making myself walk for 45 minutes to an hour every morning with Molly.  It is good for both of us.


There's the "big hill" we walk up each day.  Bloody steep.  By the time we get to the top I'm puffing like .. well, not sure ... but quite out of breath.  It's getting better.




We pass the golf course at one stage and, if the golfers aren't around, Molly gets a good run up and down the 5th tee.


I arrive at the Lane Cove Village plaza half way through the walk.  The village is getting busier and busier but it looks lovely dressed in the season's colours.  Notice the "older" lady and man crossing the street.  Unfortunately - or fortunately, not sure yet really - I see so many people of my 'age' out walking and keeping fit at the same time.  *Sigh*  I don't see myself yet as retired or in the "grey" brigade which keeps me from recognising myself in this pack.

Hey, I want a job!  Now!  Its not time for me to step aside yet (I hope).  However, with all my (mock) denial I'm loving this life!!!

This morning George decided to try his foot out and walk the easy way (without the hills) with me to Lane Cove.  On the way back I tried to take his photo but after all this time he's still Internet camera shy.  Ahh .. cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment