Thursday 24 January 2013

From my youth - A Friend Releases His New Book!

I could regale you with reams and reams of - at times - hair AND eye brow raising stories from my twenties.  But I'll save them for another time and another post. 


One of the great friends, characters - and loves - from my early years is Phillip DePoy.  Celebrity magazines call super talented people a 'triple threat'.  Phillip is a multi-layered threat!  A writer, playwright, actor, composer, musician, performer and on top of all that a college professor as well!!!

Our friendship started at lunch time at Georgia State University in the early 70's.  Daily we would see each other on opposing sides of the crosswalk.   He would always smile at me as we passed and I would look straight ahead and try to pretend I was so cool not to notice him (while my heart was just about to burst in my chest).  I thought we'd never speak and then one day I looked up from my work desk (I was secretary to 7 professors at the time) and there he was!  He came to show me he had a story (I think) published in a magazine.  That started a fabulous long friendship.  Phillip always had a wife or girlfriend at the time so our relationship was always as fast friends!  Hummm...there was a time....

Anyway...Yesterday my wonderful, talented, award winning friend released his latest book "December's Thorn".  Its a new chapter in his series featuring Fever Devlin. 
 
 

It can be ordered through Amazon.  Here's the synopsis...   Fever Devilin is an academic with a complicated past and an unusual view of the world. A folklorist by training, he's returned to his family home in Blue Mountain, a small town in the heart of Georgia's Appalachian Mountains, where nothing is ever quite what it seems, and the past is always complicated. Still recovering from a near-death experience, Fever is visited by a woman who claims to be his wife. And she's there to deliver some shocking news: Fever has a son.

His friends don't really believe the woman exists—they think she's another hallucination of a mind still slowly recovering from a long-term coma. Fever's fiancĂ©e is torn between being outraged and concerned for his mental health. None of this is helped by the fact that Fever, even in the best of times, has a tendency to see things that others don't and that may not, strictly speaking, exist. But when someone starts shooting very real bullets from a very real rifle in Fever's direction, the one thing that everyone can agree upon is that there's something very deadly going on. All Fever has to do is sort out who is trying to kill him—and why—before they succeed.


I highly recommend it!

And here's the link to Phillip's website...check out all his books!  Phillip DePoy - His works

1 comment:

  1. I recognize Philip from this pic, but from your comments as to his "eligibility", I know why I could not place him when we talked.

    LOL! This is a pic of the You, the Gail of my roommate memories!

    I shall reserve the hair-raising stories of our 20's for private conversations, LMAO! I promise not to publicize what we reminisced about when you visited! ^--^

    ReplyDelete