Wednesday 23 January 2013

Blogging course and Work envy

Last night I attended a 'Blogging for Beginners' course at the Australian Writers Centre here in Sydney.  I took the course initially because I'm enjoying writing this blog but also because I don't have the slightest notion about how to make it better or extend my audience.  I was looking for instruction as well as inspiration.

Everything was looking good as all my fellow attendees entered the room....all women with one male exception.  Glancing around the room, and judging all on face value, I could imagine the personal bloggers like myself learning how to better write about food, or their children or shopping.  However, as we went around the room introducing ourselves and saying what we wanted to get out of the course I realised most were there to learn how to promote their business, or publication or money making initiative.

While listening to them talk I started to miss working....I was actually yearning to be working at something - anything.  The feeling kind of ambushed me.  I certainly hadn't thought about it much for weeks...the Christmas holidays, being on the boat and enjoying that summer "down time" mindset had me coasting along.  Then WHAM I suddenly had a reality moment....I must be really "retired".  It was a weird wake up feeling and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  I certainly enjoy what I'm doing now...but I'm sure this isn't all there is.  I read on someone's CV on 'linkedin' the other day that they are on "Executive Sabbatical".  I think I'll start to think of myself like that instead of retired.  It doesn't sound as permanent.

Anyway, the course was great, informative.... very short though.  I could have asked a million questions but one thing the instructor kept saying is the most important thing is to just get started with blogging and talk to people who blog and read other people's blog.  So expect more of this from me as I attempt to get better and more interesting!  Thanks for sticking with me so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment