Wednesday 19 December 2012

Parrots ..... And a quick thought on change


A few years ago Pookie (my internet shy husband) made a big bird feeder for our backyard to bring the parrots in. We get regular visits from a pair of rainbow lorikeets.  And in spring they bring their young around. 

Lately - almost every day – a big beautiful king parrot comes to visit.  He’s become very bold.  When I go to feed him on the bannister he will put his head right down next to my hand…the first time he did it I thought he was going to bite me.  Now he’s bringing his mate around.  She’s pretty skittish but today I finally got her to come down off the feeder and eat some seeds off the bannister.  They even let me sit outside while they were there.  Very cool….they make the neatest little song.




A quick thought on change...

For the last 12 years or so I’ve become addicted to the gym….it took a while but I have to admit that it really really works for me.  I feel so much better when I work out.  And, at least I’m doing the best I can to keep my bones from getting brittle in my older age. 

I’ve had the good fortune to be able to join a gym where I work with personal trainers.  I love working with them and they’ve both become good friends.   In the last couple of weeks they both have decided to move on to do other things.  I’m really happy for them….and I think I’ve surprised myself a bit with the ease I’ve accepted their move.  There was a time…back when I was all wrapped up in working and rushing around that I would have been a bit upset at the changes to my routine.

On the way home from the gym today I started thinking about how retirement has given me a different perspective on so much.  I was so attached to work and being busy and carrying the “label” of what my job was that I couldn’t see that “stuff” happens ….and then, mostly, we move on to different and often better things.  More times than not it’s no big deal.  Wouldn’t it be liberating if it didn’t take 62 years of living to get that message!

I love love love Bonnie Raitt…great singer.  There’s a line from her “Nick of Time” album/song that says – ‘Life gets precious when there’s less of it to waste’.  I think I’m starting to get that.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment