Monday 13 May 2013

Standing on one foot.

Its hard to stand on one foot.  Even with the help of crutches its really difficult.  For a start there's very little sense of balance so even the slightest obstacle seems suddenly insurmountable.  Secondly it makes the supporting buttock hurt and cramp like hell.  I guess it would normally be a pretty good workout - butt wise - to do everything on one leg, but surely its important to change sides now and again and give the other one a workout!  That I can't exactly do at the moment. 

Its also hard to carry stuff - any kind of stuff - when standing on one foot and on crutches.  Suddenly all the things you take for granted - like making a cup of tea and carrying it to the sofa with a cookie - take time to work out how it can actually happen.  And I find its important to have all the things to keep me connected and occupied with me - now - at all times.  Which presents another problem ... how do I carry my glasses, book, phone and tablet from bedroom to sofa?

Necessity is, they say, the mother of invention.  So I have a bag now that I put around my neck which can hold all my reading requirements and phone.   I look a bit odd hobbling from one room to the next with this eco shopping bag around my neck but it works a treat.  Also, before Mr G left for the boat this morning, he suggested taking the washing basket trolley inside to place my food and drinks in to move from the kitchen to sofa.  I'm going to try that out this evening with my dinner.  I can shove it along with my crutches ahead of me.  The only problem is I may spill my wine so I'll need to give that some thought before dinning.  And now, more so than ever, wine is very IMPORTANT!

I have the up most respect for those who have to live with this frustration everyday and believe the NDIS can't come quick enough for those in need of much more support and infrastructure than we offer them now.

Mr G, as I said earlier, left this morning to go back to the boat and sail Southern Belle up to Queensland.  I was - and am still - so torn about him leaving.  On the one hand I know he needed to go make sure she is safe and also keep her moving toward the Whitsunday Islands and Cairns.  On the other hand I didn't want to be left here.  I want to be there - on the way, with him.  I feel for Stephanie and Bladen who thought they were house and dog sitting only to be faced with Gail sitting as well!  Bummer.  They've both been wonderful but I wonder how they will feel about it 4 weeks on after I've been rooted to the sofa for a month!

So here I sit.  I've fantasised about how this "alone" and "disabled" time will present me with fabulous insight....a jump into enlightenment.  Then I look at the clock and wish for wine-o-clock to arrive.  Ready for insight - not so much.   We'll see how the time and my sense of self progresses.

1 comment:

  1. I had a broken leg casted for a month. Mine was a full leg cast which presented a few more problems since I could not bend my knee. I solved the wine problem by bringing the bottle to the glass :).

    Have you considered taking up crochet? I about went crazy sitting still until I started working with my hands as well as having TV as background. At least there is an abundance of programming available these days, some of it good.

    Hang in there and mind the doctor so that you will heal properly and timely :) If you want to waste some face time we could skype sometime :)

    ReplyDelete