Friday 22 March 2013

FLASHBACK FRIDAY - (sing a long) - "We are family, I've got all my sisters with me!"




Living life is fun and we've just begun
To get our share of the world's delights
(HIGH!) high hopes we have for the future
And our goal's in sight
(WE!) no we don't get depressed
Here's what we call our golden rule
Have faith in you and the things you do
You won't go wrong
This is our family Jewel

 
We are family
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up ev'rybody and sing!

Such are the lyrics to the great Sister Sledge song from the 70s...from early disco days with everyone in platform heels and bad hair (which rolled on and got even worse in the 80s - but that's another story and another decade). 

Looking back at that time its easy to think it was all fun and carefree - which life was most of the time - but there were bad times, challenges, bad relationships and generally living with very little as far as money goes.  But we did have each other. 

I've talked about how important women friends have been to me my whole existence and, certainly, they were even more important in my 20s.  My female friends weren't just friends in a lot of cases...we were SISTERS! ... and we did have a lot of faith in ourselves, the future and each other.  So, for today's FLASHBACK I thought I'd serve up a photo montage of some of my SISTERS!.



Me and Jae - Soul Sister #1! At the little apartment on Marlbrook in the early days. Jae always had plants all over the place and she even had a Terrarium (anyone remember them?). The plants are a bit sparse in this photo but eventually over the years they were really crammed in on the shelves.






Juanne and Jae with Quicksilver the dog - fantastic dog! - and a cat I'm not sure of. Juanne (my apologies if I'm spelling that wrong) was my first room mate - way before Jae. She and her boyfriend, Robert, lived in the apartment downstairs before Donna and Donna.




 



Marilyn.    I wish I had more photos of this woman. We met in College and she was one of the reasons I didn't make it through...she was a hard party person and we really partied hard together! In 1972 I went to Europe to hitchhike around with Marilyn and our friend Ellen. WOW/ We made history - at least to ourselves! That's how I met Mr G...when Marilyn, Ellen and me hitchhiked for 5 days from London to Inverness just to go to a special pub.
  



Lovely Donna D. Full of life and joy, sweet Donna lived downstairs from us at one point with the fabulously fun Donna B. Donna's room was right under mine in the house and she would often hear Jae and I coming home after a big night at The Club Three...laughing and talking way too loud. Even though there were two separate apartments in the house we pretty much lived like it was one house. Lots of fun. Lots of laughs. 




 

Donna B, Jae and Phyllis in our little living room. The very weird looking green curtain on the right was the doorway to Jae's room. We only had 3 doors in the whole apartment - Front door, Bathroom door and my Bedroom had a door. That was it. We were, as I've said, close....because we had to be!



 
And to end this montage of SISTERS! a picture of me and Jae and Glo in our element - at the time - at Phyllis' house in one of the many many get-to-gether/parties of the time.
We are family .... indeed!
Check out the camera in my hand - and the flash stick on top!  That was the latest thing at the time...the film (remember film? and getting it developed?) was in a cartridge.  New and happening.





No comments:

Post a Comment