Wednesday 27 February 2013

Precipice of time, valley of life...and Dream Team

Warning:  Amateur philosophy ahead!

The girls from dinner last night...shame the camera made us all look like we were from the Village of the Damned!

Last night after a lovely dinner with wonderful and beautiful friends I came home still smiling to myself.  Time with friends goes so fast but it excels in enriching the soul!  Don't you think?  I made a cup of Sleepy Time Tea, had a good cuddle with Miss Molly on the sofa - Mr G was sound asleep - and experienced a kind of epiphany.  I started thinking about my life and came up with this scenario....

Age is like climbing up a mountain; sometimes steep, sometimes easy, and sometimes so tough it seems like you can't hang on any longer.  But with each climb opportunities arise to take a break.  The climb levels out, you get a chance to stand on a precipice and look down at the valley of life to clearly see where you've been and how you got to this point.  

From this overlooking ledge there's an opportunity to stop a minute and take stock....has the climb been worth it, have the decisions been OK, have you been kind and respected others and the animals and the ecosystem...have you been lucky to surround yourself with the people you need for love, support and enrichment?

Too deep?  Sorry.  But I felt very philosophical last night...and the feeling is still with me today.

So what did I see when I looked down from that ledge at the valley of my life.  I saw that I've been so very very blessed in everything!  Great friends in the USA and here, a long and good marriage with a lovely husband, a chance to move to Australia, health, an opportunity to have a career and, so far, a happy retirement.  WOW, so much good stuff!  Today I've probably told the Universe thank you a million times.  THANK YOU again.... I am GRATEFUL!

So what prompted this deep look at life?  It was the women friends I had dinner with.  They are part of my past ... a  Dream Team of workmates over many years.  A group of very talented women and - our 1 man - who endured the fast paced manic nature of business at Fox Home Entertainment to become great friends.  There were many missing at last night's dinner.  Everyone has children, busy working lives and many demands on their time so its hard to get everyone together.  But a few times each year we try to make it to see each other, laugh a lot and report on our lives.

We met over almost a quarter of a century....from 1983 to 2007 when I left Fox.... and, in many ways, we grew up together both professionally and personally.  Even if we don't see or speak to each other for months it doesn't even take a second to jump straight into the VIBE.  Last night was no exception.  It made me smile to see that within minutes everyone was talking & laughing...across the table, diagonally across each other ... in 2s and 3s and then altogether.  Fantastic! 

This is what I mean by blessed.  I am so lucky to have this group of smart beautiful women in my life...along with all my other friends .. its an honour to be here and share bits of my life with them.  I'll say it again...THANK YOU UNIVERSE!  And thank you Dream Team....I love our times together so much.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great account of a current trend I am seeing amongst so many of us these days! We had many trials by fire, didn't we?? Keep writing my friend you have much to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann! So good to hear from you. Thanks for reading the blog. Yes, we did have soooo many trials by fire ... but that time we were all together and really working on CREATING something, often from nothing or very little, seemed so much more special than it ended up being now. Don't you think...or am I too sentimental?

    ReplyDelete