Wednesday 6 February 2013

Letting go; Explosive 9/11 Doco; Atheist Commandments; Great 'Hunk' Ad....

There's so much I want to share right now which means this is going to be a bit of a long post....stick with it, I think (hope) you'll find something worth while.

1.  Letting go and ready for another chapter.  Mr G got a big bee in his bonnet yesterday and started to clean out our 'shed'.  I highlight the word 'shed' because the structure is not the standard - run of the mill - kind of backyard shed.  In reality it could be any number of things because Mr G, when he built it, created a building that could be and withstand anything.  Double brick with a tiled laundry and phone + gas connections meant we could pretty much live in if we needed to/wanted to.  We've been living in this house for well over a decade now and its amazing how much junk has accumulated.  Now that we're retired and preparing for our boat cruise the time had come to let go of it all.  I gave the Salvation Army as much as they would take and the rest has to go to the tip.   Mr G did a great job with load #1 and there's plenty left for load #2.  I tend to be more sentimental than him and saw much of it representing well earned memories but there comes a time when you have to let go and move on I guess.  Besides if I had gotten in his way - he was definitely on a roll - I could have ended up at the tip too!


Packed and ready for the tip.
The 'shed' being cleaned...Ruthlessly!

 

2.  Explosive new documentary about the 9/11 events.  I read the Sydney Morning Herald on line most days and noticed this doco advertised in their masthead last week.  I had a look at it on Saturday morning (and again today) and, I have to admit, it shocked me.  Have a look at it when you can ... it raises many new facts and questions.   Be prepared, its long... 1 hour and 28 minutes...but I found it very interesting.  So many people think conspiracy theorists are at work trying to get the US public to ask more questions about how 9/11 actually happened...and WHY.  BUT the guys that made this doco are architects and engineers and they have much science to back their questions.  SMH - TV 9/11 Explosive Evidence

3.  The 10 Commandments for atheists.  Again, I read this article in the SMH this morning.  The writer and philosopher Alain de Botton has published 10 Commandments for virtuous atheists.  They clearly equate to what it takes to be a nice human being in today's mad mad world.  The whole article is well worth a read .. but here they are if you don't have the time or inclination to click through to the whole article.  Spot on don't you think?

Alain de Botton's 'list for life'
  1. Resilience: Keeping going even when things are looking dark.
  2. Empathy: The capacity to connect imaginatively with the sufferings and unique experiences of another person.
  3. Patience: We should grow calmer and more forgiving by being more realistic about how things actually happen.
  4. Sacrifice: We won't ever manage to raise a family, love someone else or save the planet if we don't keep up with the art of sacrifice.
  5. Politeness: Politeness is closely linked to tolerance, -the capacity to live alongside people whom one will never agree with, but at the same time, cannot avoid.
  6. Humour: Like anger, humour springs from disappointment, but it is disappointment optimally channelled.
  7. Self-awareness: To know oneself is to try not to blame others for one's troubles and moods; to have a sense of what's going on inside oneself, and what actually belongs to the world.
  8. Forgiveness: It's recognising that living with others is not possible without excusing errors.
  9. Hope: Pessimism is not necessarily deep, nor optimism shallow.
  10. Confidence: Confidence is not arrogance - rather, it is based on a constant awareness of how short life is and how little we will ultimately lose from risking everything.

4.  Ad made for women by women - Very Entertaining!  My friend Stephanie posted this on her facebook this morning.  Well worth a look...very clever.  Mamamia - Ladies, rethink breast cancer - Here's how you touch yourself







3 comments:

  1. I can identify with the purging! OMG, as a child of a Depression Child, I was raised to reuse/recycle/upcycle EVERYTHING! "Someone might need that" was the rallying cry, so I have accumulated my Stuffage, Mom's Stuffage, her Moms's Stuffage, my Great Aunt's Stuffage, my Dad's parent's Stuffage... and my Sis & Bro don't have any kids so I have Alllllllllll of it!!!

    I would love to banter about some of your other posts. I don't know where you want to go on your blog with comments and potential rebuttals, so let me know if I cross a line at some point!

    As for the 10 Commandments, I think the Golden Rule pretty much trumps all: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If we all treat others as we would like to be treated, I think the troubles of the whole world would disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get that 9/11 link to "work" - video not authorized for my location (US) :( I would like to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey...sorry its taken so long to get back to you about the 9/11 doco. I looked at the doco again and they have a website at the end with the address 911ExpertsSpeakOut.org

      Maybe you can get into it that way.

      Delete