Monday 17 February 2014

The Weather and Aspirations Update


The lime tree doing very well and our massive water tank hidden behind the bushes.
Climate change, or just plain outrageous weather, is creating havoc all over the world.  Here in Sydney we've had it easy - Very Easy. 

While my sister & brother-in-law in Ireland hunker down against the tempest of cyclonic winds and driving rain ... my friends in Atlanta are defrosting from their second ice & snow storm of the year ... and there are parts of Australia that have experienced unprecedented sweltering temps for days on end ...  those of us here in Sydney have been experiencing a period of no rain since December. 

We installed a huge water tank in the back yard during the last drought in the hopes of being self sufficient and ecologically responsible.  Until the last few weeks we succeeded.  But 2 weeks ago the 8,000 litre tank (1,800 gallons) dried up.  Not a drop left.  And the yard was looking pretty brown and sorry for itself. 

Finally we got some rain over the last day or two.  But Robert, our brother-in-law, in Ireland is still working on cleaning up the mess there.  He's having a hell of a time!  Over 10 trees have blown over around their house.  One even unearthed the water main and created a geyser in the front yard.  To make matters worse he ruptured his Achilles tendon (yes, the same injury as George) and is hobbling around in a orthopaedic boot!  Goodness I hope their weather - and all the UK - clears up soon!

In my last blog I talked about the goals - aspirations - currently at the forefront of my mind - finding a Job and losing 3 Kilos.

Well the job front isn't happening so far. I applied for a job with WWF 2 weeks ago and, although I check my phone and email with annoying regularity, there's been nothing from them to date.  I suppose it was inevitable I would expect to get an interview from the first application - and I was so SURE of it.  The fact there hasn't even been a "thank you for your application but.." letter or email pretty much says they weren't interested.  Not to worry.  I'm not one to give up.  There will be more applications - I'm sure - until the right one comes along.

The weight front is much better.  I've lost 1 kilo!  That may not sound like a lot but in a week and a half it's not bad. The gym is beginning to be enjoyable again which is good.  I really hate that start up period when the legs and the body feel like they're made of concrete and it's hard to imagine how you're going to live through the session.

I WILL get there on both goals.

An old friend of mine, Jo Pillmore, lives in North Carolina and has a wonderful website and mindset coaching clinic.  Not long ago she posted a great quote on Facebook from Paulo Coehlo, "Because ever since your goal found out that you were travelling toward it, it has been running to meet you".   It's good to look at it that way, makes the task not seem so tough.  Have a look at Jo's website - it's terrific - just CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment